Thursday, July 9, 2009

Westward HO!

I'm taking my three grandchildren, Stephanie (15), Steven (11) and Stacey (9) on a 5,000 mile trip around the country at the end of this month. We plan to visit 26 national parks or monuments located in the driving path from North Carolina to Yellowstone to the Grand Canyon back to NC. This summer is the 20th anniversary of the epic camping trip I took their mother and aunt (then 14 and 7 respectively) on in 1989. That trip was 9,000 miles from NC to the Puget Sound in WA, down to the San Diego Zoo, and east again. Visiting countless parks, monuments, and city sights. The original 1989 trip inspired many stories and poems, and I'm expecting no less from this one.

Stephanie, also a writer, has agreed to help me formulate a YA novel I plan to submit in December to the Delacorte Press Books annual contest for never before published YA writers. Steven and Stacey were my character inspirations for Saving Dallas as the characters Josh and Crystal. They are looking forward to visiting Lake Meredith near Amarillo, Texas one locale for their characters in the novel, and, of course, Dallas touring. I'm looking forward to on-site sensory impressions.

Currently, I'm not getting much writing done due to our fund raising project for the journey west. The children and I are making tie-dyes and selling them to our family and friends. I did the same thing in 1989 using RIT dyes. Thank goodness for this go around, I have a friend who makes tie-dyes as a living and has passed professional dyes, pre-soak solution, and industrial strength detergent so these tie-dyes are long lasting and non-fading. We're having fun which is most important. Steven has become quite the little salesman. He should consider a career in law or used car sales (just kidding).

Besides tie-dying, we have been hiking several times a week. We have a fabulous mountain just 15 minutes away, Pilot Mountain. We've been hiking the "moderate" .8 mile trail around Pilot's Knob with Steven and Stacey begging each time to try the more challenging 2 mile "severe" Spring Ledge trail. Last night I gave in. Well... I can barely walk today. Oh well, we had fun and saw deer on the hike, always a real treat.

My husband Michael is working feverishly on a sequel to Saving Dallas. It's called, "The Runaway, and the Sixth Level Competition." He says he is addressing some of the green issues missing in Saving Dallas. More on his project in an upcoming blog.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Donalee,
    Glad you're posting. I've got to really get back to it, as I've been slacking. Lazy actually. It is summer though. I can't remember if you had a v-neck ladies t-shirt in your repertoire? And I like the purple color. Had a small setback but feel I'm getting back on track. I do wish I could join you on your trip. That would be so fantastic, I haven't seen those places you've mentioned. Check out www.agentquery.com for listings of agents. Just got info that you should pick 100 agents. The top 10 are those you really want, then the next 10 and the next and so forth. That way you're hitting a lot of people at once. I can explain better later. Take care and I'm glad you've got your blog up and running. Can't wait to see what you put up when you get back from your trip.

    ReplyDelete